March 24 – 26, 2017 • Dallas, TX
At Conventions, there are a multiple venues where artists and vendors interact with attendees to sell goods and services. The Dealers Den is geared for larger vendors, and offers set times and assigned seats, where-as the Artist Alley is geared specifically towards artists and crafters, offers a more flexible schedule and format, and is limited to people who wish to sell items/art of their own creation.
For the attendee, Artist Alley offers an ever-changing assortment of goods and services to browse, as the artists offering their work in the Alley will change from day to day, or even within the same day as one person leaves and another one sets up for business. We have had vendors selling a huge variety of goods over the years, from the classic sketchbook commissions and badges, to steampunk jewelry and etched glassware. The Alley starts business every day at the same time as our Dealers Den, but where the Den closes in the evening, you will find artists in the Alley working late into the night.
Being an Artist in the Alley
Each morning, we will hold a Lottery for all artists interested in being in the Alley for a given day. Lottery tickets are free and limited to one per person, but if you are drawn for a seat in the Alley there is a $10 fee, per day. There are a couple of limitations and rules regarding the Alley, so please do read the full rules listed below.
Register here to submit your information prior to the 2017 Convention; this does NOT guarantee you a space in the Alley, but rather saves time filling out paperwork at the Convention itself.
All business is conducted within the Dealers Den or Artist Alley at Furry Fiesta. Anyone caught doing business at random tables (or anywhere else) around the Convention will be directed to stop.
The #1 Rule of Artist Alley:
- You must possess a Texas Sales Tax Permit to sell anything, anywhere, at any time at Furry Fiesta.
- AND you must have this on file with the Vendors Department (Dealers Den/Artist Alley).
- AND have your Artist ribbon affixed to your badge.
All three of the above conditions must be met.
There are absolutely NO EXCEPTIONS to this rule.
Get a Tax Permit here, it’s free
Question #1: The Lottery is drawn so early, and Registration’s line is so long. I’ll never get through it in time! What am I supposed to do?
Answer: You are allowed to do the Lottery drawing prior to picking up your Convention membership, but you must go to Registration and get your membership prior to setting up your Alley space.
Question #2: Can I register online ahead of time to be in the Artist Alley?
Answer: Yes, but this is just to provide us with information, it does NOT guarantee you a placement in the Alley. Please be sure to sign up for the Alley each day. You can register here.
Question #3: But I NEED to be able to sell things at TFF to pay for my trip! What if I don’t get picked for the Lottery?!?
Answer: If we happen to run out of seats on a given day and have to Lottery for seating, then after 6pm you may sit in an empty seat which is clear of the seat-holder’s things IF you have registered with the Alley Ops desk and IF you are wearing your Artist ribbon. You must move to a different spot if the seat-holder returns however.
Also, a special lottery will be held Sunday morning for artists that entered the lottery on either Friday and Saturday and did not get picked for a table on either day. This lottery will pick ahead of the main lottery and will have first selection on the spots.
Question #4: So… if I get drawn in the Lottery, I can get up from my seat and go get lunch/dinner, or go to panels, or visit with friends and I won’t lose my spot? I can leave and come back and it’s still mine when I want it?
Answer: Correct! If you come back from your break and someone is sitting in your spot, just let them know you’re back and given them a reasonable amount of time to pack up their things and move, and it’s all yours again. If they won’t move, or don’t in a reasonable amount of time, then please let the Artist Alley lead know (or, after hours, Security) and we will enforce your claim – happily.
Complete Artist Alley Rules
- Seat Assignment and Lottery
- Tables are issued on a Lottery basis. Tickets are issued each morning; see Hours of Operation.
- If the allotment of spaces available exceeds the number of waiting artists on a given morning, spaces will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. This will continue until all spaces are sold for a day.
- No ticket will be issued without a Texas Sales Tax Permit number. If you have not provided this ahead of time, the artist must provide it at the time of ticket issue. If you do not have a permit, please see the Coordinator after the daily drawing for assistance.
- All parties must be present to enter the Lottery. You may not pick up a ticket for someone else. All parties must be present for the Lottery Drawing.
- Artist’s set-ups must be occupied by one hour post-drawing; exceptions will be made if an issue is communicated to the Alley staff. ‘Occupation’ includes both setting-up and ready to do business.
- You must be a Furry Fiesta 2017 member to set up your space, but not to enter the Lottery. If selected, you must first go to Registration to pick up your Convention Membership prior to setting up your space and beginning to do business.
- Any spots that remain after the lottery each morning can be purchased on a first come-first served basis once the alley opens each morning
- If there are any artists that entered the lottery on either Friday or Saturday and have not gotten a spot on either day, a special lottery will be run for them on Sunday. These artists will get choice of spots before the main lottery on Sunday for artists that already have won a spot on previous days.
- Texas Sales Tax Permit & Registering Permit with Furry Fiesta
- Artists selling any item at Furry Fiesta must collect Texas Sales Tax (8.25%).
- No sales may take place by ANYONE without a Tax Permit being provided to Furry Fiesta (either to the Alley lead, or Dealer Den if Alley is unavailable). If you think you may sell an item, file your permit with the Convention.
- When a Texas Sales Tax Permit is filed with the Vendor Relations Staff, the artist will be given an ‘Artist’ ribbon for their badge. This must be affixed at all times while doing business.
- Tax Permits are available online, for free, at: http://www.window.state.tx.us/taxpermit/
- Seat Owner Priority
Upon being drawn by the Lottery and paying their fee, each Artist Alley vendor will be given a color-coded and numbered token. This token will match a seat number for a specific day. This is your proof of payment and your rental of the seat for that day; do not misplace it.
- The rightful owner of this token has the right to evict anyone sitting in their seat at any time during the day for which it is valid. Anyone sitting in a seat that is not the owner of that seat must immediately vacate upon request by the owner.
- Should anyone fail to follow this rule, contact the Artist Alley Coordinator in Dealer’s Den (or, for after-hours assistance, contact Security) and we will address the situation.
- Use of Artist Alley by Non-Priority Artists
Artists who are not the seat holder for the day may make use of empty spaces after 6pm each day if the following conditions are met:
- They MUST file a Texas Sales Tax Permit with the Vendor Relations Staff. This can be with the Alley Coordinator, or if they are unavailable, with the Dealers Den Staff.
- Artist MUST display the Artist ribbon on their badge. If this is lost, you may not do business until a new one is acquired; this includes after-hours.
- They must vacate the seat/move to another, if the seat holder returns. If there is no free space available, they must come back at another time.
- Appropriate Use / Liability
- Anyone (seat owner or otherwise) making use of an Alley Space will be responsible for proper conduct at that seat, including adherence to tax laws.
- Artists are responsible for any damage to hotel property and equipment in the Artist Alley. Hotel property and equipment may not be modified in any way, including but not limited to: holes, chips, paint, glue, or damage due to rough or inappropriate behavior. Fees for damaged equipment will be assessed by the Hotel and the Artist will be responsible for paying these fees. Please use provided equipment responsibly and take caution when using potentially risky materials (such as inks).
- Artists are expected to keep their areas neat and tidy; when you are finished, you are expected to clean up any trash, scraps, or other mess. Anyone found leaving an excessive mess will be addressed.
- ALL items must be removed from an artist’s space by drawing the next day so that the hotel may clean the space. This includes racks and other equipment.
- Good Business Practices
All Alley Vendors are expected to conduct themselves as professionals and conduct their business in an upright and forthcoming fashion. This includes:
- Providing your customers with appropriate contact methods both during Con and after-Con, in order to follow up on commissioned work. We recommend business cards and/or receipts.
- Note to Customers:
- ALWAYS get your artist’s contact information, including Badge name, so that you can follow up as needed.
- Put your contact info inside the cover of your sketchbook, or at least an email address where you can be reached.
- Follow through on commissioned pieces, especially if money has already been accepted. Repeated reports of ‘scamming’ will be addressed.
- Return ‘take home’ work, especially sketchbooks.
- Artist Alley merchants may not post signs or posters on walls. They may not erect additional stands or tables behind, in front of or beside their table space. They may hang signs from the front of their table space and may use small stands to display signs or merchandise within in their table space.
- Artist Alley does NOT include any electricity use.
- You may not expand into your neighbor’s space without their explicit permission.
- Artists may only sell items they have made. Please contact us with any questions regarding whether an item may or may not be sold.
- Samples of Allowed: Art, badges, tails, self-mixed candles/incense/soap, costumes/suits, jewelry, prints, books, comics, or other media for which they are the sole creator of the content, home-made plush or stuffed animals, etc.
- Samples of NOT Allowed: Glow sticks, commercial food items, stuffed animals made by a third party, books, Scentsy/Avon/similar products, comics or other media for which they are not the sole creator of the content, etc.
- Prohibited Items
Items prohibited for sale. This list may be appended at any time. Prohibited items include (but are not limited to):
- Firearms and weapons.
- Flammable/incendiary items other than candles and incense.
- Home-made food items manufactured in facilities without FDA or local health inspector oversight.
- Any other item prohibited in the State of Texas or the Town of Addison.
- Adult Material is permitted, but it must be censored / obscured to prevent access by minors.
- All Adult Material (including but not limited to printed, video, computer-generated, drawn, audio and physical) must be censored.
- Each artist is responsible for policing his/her own table to keep minors from being inadvertently exposed.
- Minors will be wearing a distinct Minor badge, but artists must check ID if the individual appears to be less than 18 years of age.
- If adult art is loose or in a binder, individual works must be censored.
Due to Texas State law, we can not allow raffles of any sort (whether money is involved or not) to occur in the artist alley.
- Removal of Goods
Furry Fiesta reserves the right to ask retailers to remove from display or sale any items the staff feels are inappropriate.
- Convention Policies
All Furry Fiesta policies must be followed in addition to the rules listed here.
- Rule Amendment
Furry Fiesta reserves the right to amend these policies without prior or posted notice.
- Hours of Operation
Artist Alley will remain open all day and night during the Convention, with the exception of time to clean the area and register Artists for the next day.
||9:30am – 10:30am
|Hours of Operation:
||11am Friday – 6am Saturday (Overnight)
||8:30am – 9:30am
|Hours of Operation:
||10am Saturday – 6am Sunday (Overnight)
||8:30am – 9:30am
|Hours of Operation:
||10am Sunday – 5pm Sunday